1.28.2010

A whole new world

One of the many changing things us as women experience during pregnancy is our breasts. So I went to a class this week on breast feeding. I liked the idea of it before the class, but after watching the sickest video and feeling so dumb practicing positions with a baby doll I totally have a different perspective on it. I'm not saying I'm giving up, but that class was one I could have done without (if you've been to one you totally know what I'm talking about)!!

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

Breastfeeding is definitely not for everyone. To be honest, I'm pretty sure it's up to the baby, NOT THE MOM. I was only able to nurse Ty for 3 months because he wasn't latching properly (due to bottles in the NICU for his first week of life) and then wasn't able to nurse Jocelyn at all for similar reasons, including a spinal headache. Sometimes it's just not in the cards. You will know soon after and then it's up to you to do whats best for you and the baby. So excited for you guys! Good luck!

Katherine said...

Definitely try it. Most mothers don't experience problems, and it can be a great deal of comfort for the baby AND for you. It's not just about the food.

Shalise said...

I think you should at least give it a try.. As Aubrey said you will know but you do need to give it time, it's not easy.. As you know both my daughter's were preemie's 2 and 3lbs, it was a lot of work because of the confusion in the hospital.. Danica was nursed for 9 months and Bryhn for a year, my kids have been super healthy and who knows that could have been a big contributor to it, it really is the best for the baby, but if it's not in the cards this is why they have formula..

Lisa K said...

My teacher for that class was a hippy who breastfed her children until they were 4. No joke. She made it sound like the simplest thing in the world and that no one should ever drink cow milk or formula. A little cuckoo.

Anyways, my milk never came in so I wasn't able to do breastfeeding. So I really have no advice for you. =)

Anonymous said...

ba hahahahaha I would have loved to go to that class with you, just because it sounds so funny! My sister told me she expected to have her "natural motherly instincts" to kick in... but I guess it's a little more difficult than some people make it seem.

Did you have aa baby shower?!

Mandy Pants said...

I agree, breast feeding was the one thing I was really scared about before having Lucas. But don't worry, it really is something that comes naturally. And after a week or two you and Shelby will be doing it second nature. Also, if Shelby has problems latching on Medela and other companies make products like nipple shields to assist with such problems... I hope that wasn't too weird to write as part of my comment on your blog.

Mandy Pants said...

Also, was that sticker seriously on the back of someone's car?